The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
As a church and professional musician, Advent and Christmas bring a unique set of opportunities and challenges for me during this season. It is a joy to be able to spend this time of the year doing the thing I love, plus all the added family events and social gatherings. However, it is a very busy time and I look forward to December 26thwhen I can sleep in!
This year, I have/had the pleasure of making music in these various capacities
- Organist for the Lancaster Chorale’s program “Christmas in Germany.” This concert will be featured on WOSU throughout December.
- Conduct the Delaware Community Chorus in multiple engagements for community events.
- Play for “Lessons and Carols” at Ohio Wesleyan University with four choirs.
- Record for 10TV Christmas music.
- Rehearse with ProMusica for their performance of the Messiah.
- Host the Brass Band of Columbus at Holy Trinity for their performance on December 11.
- Conduct the Christmas concert of the Delaware Community Chorus on December 17.
- Play for WELCA meetings throughout December.
- Provide Christmas music for assisted living facilities in central Ohio.
- Rehearse the children for the “Simple Gifts of Christmas” pageant that will take place at Holy Trinity during worship on December 18.
- As Synod Director of Music, plan and play for the Longest Night Advent service at All Saints in Worthington.
- Rehearse with the children for their musical offerings on Christmas Eve.
- Rehearse choirs for all Sunday services and Christmas Eve services.
- Rehearse Brass for the 8pm Christmas Eve Service.
As you can see, many things happen in November and December for a church musician. I would not give up one thing, as I enjoy providing music for all these events. It is a pleasure to serve as Minister of Music at Holy Trinity and have the opportunity to provide music to many other groups during this beautiful season. I hope you are able to attend some of these events and enjoy the music as well during this most wonderful time of year.